Content of this article:
To make the kitchen look good, you cannot immediately run to the hardware store, choose there finishing materials that you will like. This is a bad decision, because as a result nothing will be combined with anything. But after all, harmony is the main property of a beautiful interior.
DIY Kitchen Decor
First of all, it's worth looking at the styles.. Each of them - harmony, time-tested, in which you will not be able to make a mistake. The most popular styles for the kitchen can be divided into two groups.return to menu ↑
The first - modern. The main advantages are that they easily accept synthetic cheap materials and allow you to create a feeling of spaciousness. The main disadvantage - not everyone likes.
Choosing a future style
Among them, for example:
- Minimalism. White, silver, a little black for contrast. Plastic, wood, linoleum or wallpaper. The furniture is only necessary, the curtains are rolled, the accessories are completely excluded - except perhaps a living flower on the windowsill. Allows even a small kitchenette to make a little more spacious.
- Scandinavian style. In fact, the same minimalism, but in the entourage of the northern countries. The windows are large, no curtains. The floor is made of wood, the walls are plastered or decorated with bricks. White, milky, blue. Wood furniture, simple. Accessories are minimal - a rug on the floor, a picture with the sea on the wall, a vibrant flower on the window.
In the dark colors of hi-tech
- High tech. Also the continuation of minimalism, but with a taste of high technology. Colors - white, black, steel. Materials - steel, plastic, paint. Linoleum can be put on the floor. Furniture - leather, plastic, steel, sharp corners. As an accessory technique. It looks good in the kitchen, because it allows you to equip it with all the modern innovations, to make them part of the decor.
- Futurism. Advanced hi-tech. The colors are the same, plus a bright color light is welcome. Materials - plastic, steel. Furniture - also made of plastic, steel. As accessories, not only appliances, but also any items that look like they came from the future. Wires are added as desired.
- Loft. Colors - white, milky, brick, wood. Materials - brick, wood on the floor, beams on the ceiling. Furniture - leather sofas, office chairs, metal, plastic. As accessories, objects of contemporary culture are graffiti on the wall, for example. Requires high ceilings, or at least imitate them.
Creative and modern loft style solution
Already from a short memorandum it is clear what modern styles are. You can use any of them or choose one of the traditional ones.return to menu ↑
Traditional styles are expensive, but look cozy, reminiscent of the atmosphere of specific areas. Among them:
- Russian. The colors are wood, the material is also wood. As a contrast it allows blotches of white, red, black, yellow, but in small quantities. Furniture is wooden, upholstered. Accessories in the design of folk crafts.
- English. Of course, it is better suited for a large house than for a kitchen, even spacious, but it can still look good. On the floor is a laminate or linoleum under it, which is covered with a carpet. On the wall wallpaper or wood panels. On the stove imitation fireplace. Beams, wooden or upholstered furniture, as utensils - aged kitchen utensils. Textiles at a minimum. Colors - tree with shades, plus brown or dark red.
- Provence. Colors - white, cream, blue, pink. On the floor is laminate flooring, wallpaper on the walls in frivolous flowers, plastered ceiling. The furniture is light, from natural materials. Curtains in the style of a cafe, closing only half of the window. On the table, be sure to have a vase of flowers.
Provence notes in the kitchen
- Japanese. Colors - light, preferably yellow shades. The floor is light wood, the walls are plastered or painted light, you can imitate bamboo. The ceiling is plastered or painted. Light furniture, accessories - with a hint of Japan. Lampshade with hieroglyphs, a screen with cranes, small ramen bowls.
- Country music. The task is to imitate the American house of the times of settlement in America. Colors - red, tree with shades, preferably, lively, saturated. There is a tree on the floor, walls on it too, or wallpaper, on the ceiling beams. The furniture is wooden, roughly worked. A lot of textiles, it is as a main accessory.
Of course, the list of existing styles is much more extensive. But a general idea can be drawn up like this. You do not have to choose one of them, you can take it for an idea, and then refine it, redo it for yourself.return to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
The repair process as a result is divided into stages:
- Concept writing. At this point, you decide which colors you like, which ones you don’t. Do you want minimalism or country music - or you will generally refine the style on your own. What materials attract you, and what you do not want to see in your house. Following the results draw a sketch of what you want to get.
- Refinement details. The drawn sketch needs to be checked for errors. Did it happen that suddenly there was a wallpaper above the stove that could catch fire? Did you remember to think over the furniture, did you decide what kind of curtains you would like? How much will it all cost, do you fit into the budget?
- Purchase. You can order with delivery, you can carry materials yourself.
- Finish. Consistently, first the ceiling, then the walls and the floor carry out the plan. You can hire builders, you can work independently - as you like.
- Arrangement of furniture and accessories. When the kitchen is ready, you need to furnish and decorate it.
Making the interior as comfortable as possible
If the concept was drawn up correctly, the resulting kitchen will look something like the figure from the initial stage. But it may happen that the concept changes ten times in the process. It does not matter - the main thing is that as a result everything will be combined with everything.return to menu ↑
What are we going to finish the ceiling?
The ceiling is a good start to think about finishing in general. It can be very different:
- Plaster. Old, proven method. Fits most styles, does not require special skills. The only trouble is that it will crack with time. May suffer from high humidity. But to temperature drops insensitive.
- Paint. Also a proven method. Paint the ceiling is not very convenient, but it is possible, even if you have no experience. The paint is not afraid of water, is not afraid of temperature changes, does not fade, looks good and can be of different colors.
- Drywall. Insensitive to temperature changes, but does not like moisture. In general, the most flexible of the proposed materials - it is usually used to make curved ceilings or ceilings with two levels. From it you can make any shape, paint in any color. Minus - hides the height.
- Plastic tiles. Rarely encountered, it is better not to trim the space above the stove because they are sensitive to temperature. Moisture is not afraid, they look good and simple. A good temporary solution.
- Wooden planks (can be imitated beams). They are expensive, but they look gorgeous and are well suited for classic interiors. They do not like moisture, burn, but if you take expensive and well-treated wood, these disadvantages can be avoided.
- Metal tiles. Very rarely found, to cover the entire ceiling are usually not used, because the roads and wash their real torment. But they can finish the part - above the kitchen apron, for example, because they are not sensitive to any effects at all.
- Stretch ceiling. They are not afraid of moisture, they are easy to wash, therefore they are good for the kitchen. One minus is that they react badly to high temperatures, because the space above the stove will need to be covered with something else.
White ceiling with wooden beams
And, of course, materials can be combined, getting a beautiful ceiling of two levels, for example.
From interesting decisions on finishing:
- painted - looks good, especially in ethnic styles;
- a photo - allows you to simulate the sky, the sea and anything else;
- mirror - it looks interesting, unusual and allows you to seriously increase the size of the room visually.
Mirror surfacereturn to menu ↑
Walls can be decorated in many different ways. Among them:
- Plastic panels. Suitable for modern democratic styles. There are very different colors, with different texture, glossy or matte. They tolerate changes in temperature and moisture. But it is easy to crack from the slightest blow.
- Wooden panels. Suitable for traditional styles. In the kitchen apron they can not be placed, but they look good and the conditions of the kitchen as a whole are well tolerated.
- Tile. The most common method of finishing. It does not burn, it is not afraid of changes in temperature, it looks beautiful. It is relatively easy to crack - but still heavier than plastic. It is easy to wash, not afraid of aggressive chemistry, with which both wood and plastic do not get along very well.
Wood panels look no less impressive
- Paint. Distributed and simple, besides beautiful. Allows you to paint the walls at will, does not require much experience in the work. Does not suffer from mechanical stress, moisture and temperature extremes. But you need to carefully choose it - cheap paints are toxic.
- Plaster. Or embossed plaster. It has its own texture, usually matte. Allows you to create waves and patterns, to give the kitchen an original look. Not afraid of water, temperature changes, but not suitable for all styles.
- Brick. Like any stone, a brick tolerates everything. It can not be set on fire or broken. It looks, however, specifically.
- Wallpaper. If you do not take paper, and take glass wall paper or flizelinovye, in quality they will not yield to paint. At the plate, however, it is better not to fix them - they can melt from the heat. In addition, they are difficult to glue.
- Steel. Insensitive to nothing at all, but it looks very specific and makes the kitchen more "cold" and "strict." Does not require special care, but expensive.
Use brick to finish
Of course, you can combine different materials. So, metal goes well with glass tiles, and wood with wallpaper.BoardThe main thing is not to try to decorate the interior in traditional style with synthetic materials. The combination will look sad.
It will be interesting to you:
Blue kitchen design: What style to contact? 170+ Photos of incredible interior combinations
Wall decoration in the kitchen: 205+ Photo Options (panels, laminate, plaster). How to combine practicality with aesthetics?
MDF panels for the kitchen - 250+ (Photo) Finishing options
What color furniture to choose for the kitchen? Hurry up to learn about fresh ideas for the interior (280+ Photos)
Brown kitchen in an interior (120 + Photo) - Successful combinations for Smart ideasreturn to menu ↑
If the ceiling and the walls for finishing materials a lot, then on the floor there is no such luxury.
Tiles in the kitchen floor
There are very strict requirements for him in the kitchen - after all, something constantly spills or wakes up on him - and only a few materials correspond to them:
- Tile. Of course, the first thing that comes to mind when trying to imagine the floor in the kitchen is tile. Whether from a real stone, artificial, it will look good anyway and serve for a long time. It is very easy to wash off something from above that is very easy and you can use any chemistry. In addition, it is worn out for a long time. The only negative is that if you drop something heavy on the tile, it will crack.
- Linoleum. The second most popular solution. Linoleum looks beautiful, can imitate wood and is easy to clean. It has no slots, like tiles, which need to be cleaned separately. He is being worn out, however, at times faster and eventually fades. In addition, if you put something hot on it, there will be an ugly melted trace.
Linoleum - a practical solution for many kitchens
All other kitchen solutions are not suitable if you do not want to spend most of the time cleaning.return to menu ↑
How to place materials?
The kitchen has two main areas - working and dining (unless, of course, you do not have a separate dining room in your house). They need different materials. Suitable for working area:
- On the floor. Both tile and laminate are both resistant enough to use.
- On the walls. Only materials that easily survive wet cleaning are not afraid of aggressive chemistry and do not suffer from temperature changes. This is either tile, or expensive paint, or natural stone. You can go the original way and use the metal.
With a dining area, everything is much simpler:
- On the floor. You can put not only laminate with tiles, but also carpet, and parquet. The main thing is to clearly separate the zones so that it does not happen that they prepare both on the desktop and on the dining room, as a result of which the floors in both zones are soiled equally.
- On the walls. Any materials - even paper wallpapers, if you like them for some reason.
Compact and everything is at handreturn to menu ↑
The combination of color and furniture
The colors of finishing and furniture arrangement is, in fact, work in the same direction - this is work with the perception of space. Some objects make it more visually, others less, some interior solutions will expand it, others, on the contrary, will narrow it.
The combination of color with furniture
So, if you have a narrow kitchen that looks like a corridor, you need to remember the following tips:
- The ceiling is necessarily light. Otherwise the kitchen will become not only narrow, but also low.
- The walls are also necessarily light. Otherwise the kitchen will decrease even more. A good solution would be to decorate them with vertical stripes or place a large mirror or photo wallpaper on the side long wall. You can also paint the far wall in a bright color to draw attention to it and distract it from the rest.
- The floor can be either light or dark. The main thing is that it should be either diagonal or transverse - it will bring the far wall closer.
- Work zone. It can be placed either in one line, or in two, or the letter "G". All solutions are not bad, as long as the passage is not less than eighty centimeters.
- Dinner Zone. The table can either be brought to the far wall, if there is a window in it, or make it on the side wall, foldable. Another good solution could be a bar counter, but only if you like to sit on high chairs, and you have a modern style.
Dividing into zones with a bar counter
If the kitchen is just small - not narrow, but small - the approach needs a different one:
- The ceiling should be bright. The higher the room - the more it seems.
- The walls should also be light. The cold shade will make the room more spacious than warm. You can place on one of the walls wallpaper or mirrors, but the wallpaper with a picture immediately banned - they will further reduce the room.
- The floor can be both light and dark. Light - in a small, but relatively low kitchen. Dark - in a small, but high.
- Work zone. Compact. It is important to use the space not only on the floor, but also on the walls - cabinets, shelves will help you to rationally arrange your life.
- Dinner Zone. It can be a great continuation of the work. Combined bar counter, dining table, acting as a "second level" to the worker. In a very small kitchen, you can limit yourself to making a table from a windowsill. The original, fresh solution will help save space.
When a small work area
If the kitchen seems too big to you:
- Dark ceiling. It is undesirable to use cold colors, it is undesirable to use completely dark shades. Better something bright.
- Walls too. Best of all - a warm shade. You can make them light, but with a repetitive bright pattern, especially small.
- The floor is dark. You can also add pictures to it, you can do without it.
- Work zone. Exciting almost all space.
- Dinner table. Taste.
Putting everything in the big kitchen
The colors in the kitchen must be combined:
- Main color and shades. In this case, the shades appear in the form of accents that emphasize any elements of the interior.
- Two main colors. Looks good if the colors are contrasting and as if fighting for capturing the kitchen. You can make a contrasting work and dining area - this is a solution for modern styles, in which the brightness fits well.
- Main color and accents. Accents can be many, they can be contrasted. The difference from a few primary colors is that the accents do not paint something big, only accessories.
All in tune - bright and exciting
Run all in one color, no shades, a bad idea. As well as putting a simple island table in the kitchen, without thinking that there are other solutions.
Tables are different:
- Table-island. The most standard of all possible, put on its own, surrounded by chairs. It takes a lot of space, because it is not suitable for all kitchens.
- Bar counter. High, narrow, takes up less space, can be an excellent work surface, if necessary.
- Folding table. Attaches to the wall and folds back if needed. A good solution for small kitchens.
- Mobile table. Small, compact, more like a coffee than a dining. The same solution for small rooms.
- Attached table. Attached to the kitchen, acts as a work surface, and as a dining area.
Various table options
To complete the decor of the kitchen, it remains only to take care of the decorations.return to menu ↑
We select accessories
The following items can decorate the kitchen:
- Textile. This potholders, rugs, curtains. They must fit the overall style and at the same time fulfill their purpose. Mitts - be comfortable. Curtains - open a lot of light and at the same time close well. Carpets - make the room more comfortable. Not appropriate in all interiors.
- Flowers. In part of the interiors - as a rule, modern - they must be alive. In the other part, cut and placed in a vase. Well, if the color is chosen wisely and adds a contrasting note to the overall harmony.
- Kitchenware. Must also play on style. Approach him. To be sparkling and high-tech, if it is high-tech, to be smoked, if it is traditional styles.
Lamps enliven the atmosphere well - small table or wall lamps are best.
Textile decorreturn to menu ↑